Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Thursday, November 30, 2006
Sketchy Cooking - Cheese Fritters and Pork Goyozu Dumplings
Time for another installment of sketchy cooking, where, as previously discussed, I am working my way through 10 recipes in The Essential Fingerfood Cookbook.

Our first recipe are Cheese Fritters from the Antipasto Section (if you have the book (which I got for like $10.00 at Borders) it's on page 24). Essentially you take some Mozerella Cheese and Feta Cheese cover it in flour, than eggs, then breadcrumbs. Let it sit for an hour in the fridge (or half hour maybe), then deep fry them. I thought they were ok, but think I will remake them. For one thing I'm not a big fan of Feta Cheese. It's ok in salads and as part of larger recipes, but not very good where it's the star of the show, in my opinon. And the recipee called for them to be made into cubes, which frankly weren't ideal. I think cutting the Mozerella into strips would be better, because then you could dip it into some sort of italian sauce. I made these on my own, so no comments from Caleb.

Our second recipe is for Pork Goyozu Dumplings, from the Eastern Appetizers section (Page 148). First of all I made them with Ground Beef because I couldn't find Ground Pork at publix (except as part of a meatloaf pack, which I considered briefly). Secondly I used Wonton Wrappers rather than Goyozu Wrappers - Goyozu wrappers are round, and the Wontons were square. There might be other differences as well.

They are very labor intesive - although having a dumpling press would make it quicker the book claims. Not by much I say. You take the meat mixture, put it in the wrapper, seal it up, steam them for 10 minutes, then fry them on one side for 2 minutes. Then they are done. I found them a bit bland, but Caleb seemed to really enjoy them. I liked them in a bit of soy sauce, and they might taste good with other sauces as well. I am going to get my hands on some actual Goyozu wrappers if I can and try again, at any rate.

And that's another episode of Sketchy Cooking. Tune in next time when we move from the east to the south (of the border).
posted by Bryant @ 12:27 PM  
|

This website does three things

1. I will on a weekly or bi-weekly basis present comedic sketches I have written. Your mileage may vary.

2. I will also be cooking and reporting on recipes I make from the many cookbooks I have. I will be starting with a book of appetizer recipes and moving up from that. I will be reporting here rather than cooking.

3. I also think I will write the occasional feature on comedy or on things I find funny.

If I can I will also provide a weekend radio station of sorts. We'll have to see how that goes.

The title of this blog comes from a song by Simple Minds called "70 Cities as Love Brings the Fall." It is off of an album called Sons and Fascination. Ironically Sons and Fascination was doubled packed with an album called Sister Feelings Call, and I thought, making this site, that the song was from that album. I was, as it turns out, mistaken. The color scheme for this website is taken from Sister Feelings Call, though, and since I think it's a better scheme I don't plan on changing it.

 
About Me

Name: Bryant
Home: Nowhereville, Denial, United States
About Me: Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies. Well that's not strictly true.
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Shoutbox

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Other things
Check out my sister blog -
  • Make me a Commentator!!!
  • Links
    Template by

    Free Blogger Templates

    BLOGGER